What's the deal with peels?
CosMedix peels are formulated to use high concentrations of active ingredients, and are plant-based, glycolic free, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-viral, and are said to increase the natural moisture factor of the skin.
CosMedix peels are designed to stimulate change in the skin without causing massive destruction to it. The manufacturers claim to have produced a range of chemical peeling agents which penetrate into the skin more slowly, causing less pain and trauma but still producing results and avoiding common side effects such as a layer of brown, dead skin on the surface post-treatment, or hyperpigmentation and scarring.
A cocktail of antioxidant AHA's (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) included in the CosMedix range are claimed to increase skin cell turnover and protect the cells from free radical damage.
The most significant of the ingredients used in the CosMedix™ range is L-Retinol AGP Complex. This is a chirally corrected version of retinol (vitamin A) that converts to trans-retinoic acid once absorbed into the skin. As a result, it is far less irritating than traditional Retin-A (retinoic acid). L-Retinol AGP Complex repairs damaged DNA, stimulates collagen and elastin, increases cell turnover and resurfaces the skin.
Some of the main ingredients:
- Blueberry Smoothie - L-Lactic Acid, Blueberry Extract and D-Glucuronic Acid
- Pomegranate Peel - L-Lactic Acid
The peels we use in our facials are free from preservatives, irritants, fragrances, sodium lauryl sulphate, talcs and dyes.
Benefits of having peels and what skin problems that it can help?
Peels can help treat pigmentation, photo damage, rosacea, oily or dry skins, enlarged pores, acne scarring, helps with uneven skin tone, melasma and premature ageing which has free radical-fighting antioxidants that defend skin from environmental stress that can cause inflammation and fracture our collagen and elastin. Our peels can be used on most skin types. For those with severe gluten sensitivities or Dermatitis Herpetiformis, rest assured this product is gluten free. A combination of science and botanical ingredients help firm skin and smooth lines and wrinkles.
How to prep for a Peel?
- No spray tans or sun beds 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Wait 1 week after having Botox.
- Wait 2 weeks after having Fillers.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women can't get a peel.
- We recommend waiting 2 weeks in between for having peels.
- Use gentle cleansers leading up to your appointment 2 weeks out and discontinue using retinol products.
- Those who have used Roaccutane treatment in the previous year should wait 6-12 months before getting a facial peel.
- Cold sore sufferers can't get a peel when there's an active sore. Use Acyclovir or Zovirax leading up to your peel appointment.
- IPL or Laser hair removal – wait 2 weeks before having this treatment.
- Post laser resurfacing – wait 6-12 months before having this treatment.
- Post IPL – wait 4 weeks before having this treatment.
- No Microdermabrasion 2 weeks prior to this treatment.
- No Facial waxing 24 hours before this treatment.
- Sun protection MUST be worn – no compliance, no treatment.
- Post Treatment Balm to be worn for next 2-3 days.
- No chemicals including swimming for 48 hours after treatment.
- No exercise for 24 hours.
- No waxing for up to 5 days after treatment (depending on which peel).
- Can’t apply cosmeceuticals for at least 48 hours.
- Men – No shaving for 12 hours before this treatment or after this treatment.